Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Wear the old coat and buy the new book.

I found this quote, and it fits me. I love to buy books. Barnes and Noble is a dangerous store - I don't dare go near unless I have money in my pocket. Amazon.com and Barnesandnoble.com are listed in my favorites on my computer. I am drawn to the book section of every store I go into,including the antique stores my husband and I visit. My daughter buys shoes. I buy books. I prefer hard cover books, but often buy paperbacks because of the price.
This love affair began early in life. My mom was a children's librarian so we always had books to read. She often read to me, and always gave me books for gifts. For example, I have the complete set of Little House on the Prairie books by Laura Ingalls Wilder, given to me one at a time by my mom. And I continue the tradition. I often buy books as gifts.

When I read I am transported to a different place. Books take my mind away from the things I should be doing. They educate, entertain, and inspire me. Some books help me to relax. Others give me instructions on how to do things, and some give inspiration for future projects. Some help to explain the world around me, and often they open up whole new worlds.

So, to begin chapter one of this new blog I will share my most recent purchase.

Once upon a time...



I bought Sarah Susanka's new book, not so big remodeling.
My husband and I have been a follower of Sarah since we began the remodeling/addition project at our cabin. Her ideas about home design really made sense to us. Basically, she believes that bigger is not better. It isn't the size of the house that makes it a home, but it's the details - the way spaces are designed, connected, decorated and used- that make a home better. We have tried to incorporate some of her ideas into our cabin, and we love the results. Most of her previous books, however, dealt with new construction so I was really excited to see this newest book - it's about what you can do with your existing house to make it a home - a wonderful, comfortable place to live.
If you had told me 10 years ago that I would be reading books on home design I would have called you crazy. But that's the great thing about books - there is always one waiting to open up a new world to you.
A coat covers you for a season, and then goes out of style. But a book - a book can take you places, teach you things, make you laugh or cry, keep you on the edge of your seat, expand your vocabulary, be a companion and a friend. A book never goes out of style.
What are you reading? Enjoy!
Wear the old coat and buy a new book.

No comments:

Post a Comment